DISCOVERIES
Roman Period Cemeteries at Parski, Grudziądz County
 
More details
Hide details
1
Muzeum im. ks. dr. Władysława Łęgi, ul. Wodna 3/5, PL 86-300 Grudziądz
2
Państwowe Muzeum Archeologiczne w Warszawie, ul. Długa 52 «Arsenał», PL 00-241 Warszawa
 
Wiadomości Archeologiczne 2017;LXVIII(68):287–296
 
ABSTRACT
Two urned burials were discovered in the village of Parski, its western or south-western area presumably (Fig. 1:9.10), in 1900 and 1913 (see: W. Łęga 1930). Archaeological recovered at that time (Fig. 2, 3) entered the Stadtmuseum (City Museum) in Graudenz/Grudziądz (until 1920 in Prussia); of these only a bronze brooch, type Almgren 95, survived (Fig. 2:c) and is now in Muzeum Archeologiczne w Gdańsku (Archaeological Museum in Gdańsk); two cinerary urns and a glass jetton have gone missing. Further discoveries were made at Parski in 1939. At this time, the now Polish Muzeum Miejskie (City Museum) in Grudziądz acquired seven pottery vessels, some sherds and a bronze buckle; of these the buckle, type D29, one of the vessels (a jug, group IX), and a brooch possibly recovered the same year – type Almgren 162 (Fig. 5:a–c), are still in keeping of Muzeum im. ks. dr. Władysława Łęgi w Grudziądzu (The Father Dr. Władysław Łęga Museum in Grudziądz). In 1955, on a hummock in the north-eastern area of the village mined for sand (Fig. 1:1), the first head of the Muzeum w Grudziądzu after the war, J. Błachnio, collected a few dozen fragments of pottery, a jug (group IX), a bowl (type XaA) and two clay spindlewhorls (Fig. 5:d–l), provenanced to a Wielbark Culture cemetery. Fieldwork carried out in 1968 in the vicinity of the now obliterated hummock brought in an assemblage of pottery finds, daub, charcoal and animal bones, interpreted as the remains of Lusatian Culture and Wielbark Culture settlements (see: R. Boguwolski 1969; 1972). The materials recovered at Parski may derive from two separate cemeteries, in use in the Late Roman Period, phases B2/C1–C2, possibly even as early as phase B2 of the Late Roman Period. In the immediate vicinity of these cemeteries were two (or three) other grave-fields, of Roman Period date – one (possibly two) at Parski, in fields belonging to Reinhold and Hippke (identified in 1900 and 1913), another possible burial ground, at Nowa Wieś site 4a (Fig. 1:8), in use during phases B2–C1b, possibly as late as phase C2 (M. Kurzyńska, in print). Finally, a surface survey carried out in 1982 (R. Boguwolski 1982) recorded a group of settlements of Roman Period date (Fig. 1).
ISSN:0043-5082