MATERIALS
Zgliczyn Pobodzy. An Unassuming Cemetery from Northern Mazovia
 
More details
Hide details
1
Instytut Archeologii Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego
 
Wiadomości Archeologiczne 2018;LXIX(69):121–147
 
KEYWORDS
TOPICS
ABSTRACT
The village of Zgliczyn Pobodzy is situated on a small plateau located between the backwaters of the Wkra and Mławka Rivers. The site itself lies north of the Wkra, near a small creek called Luta that flows into it (Fig. 1). First discoveries there were made already in the 1930s, when “pottery kilns” – in reality probably cremation graves containing clay vessels – were unearthed. In 1945, a cremation grave with a bronze bucket and skillet was uncovered in the course of planting fruit trees. In the years 1977–1979, the Museum of Ziemia Zawkrzeńska in Mława carried out archaeological excavations. At that time, an area of 825 square meters was explored, revealing 25 archaeological features. The analysis of the features discovered in Zgliczyn Pobodzy showed that 13 of them are cremation pit graves, two are urn graves and one is an inhumation grave. In addition, a triangular stone paving, a kiln for burning lime and small pits of undefined function were discovered at the site (Fig. 16). In most cases, pottery constituted the only grave deposit. Only graves 3 and 12 contained fragments of antler combs, while two atypical bronze brooches combining features of brooches with covered springs and brooches of series 1 group V were found in grave 10, which also contained a clay spindle whorl. In stark contrast to the aforementioned features, grave A, discovered in 1945, contained a bucket type Eggers 18 and a skillet type Eggers 131. A brooch of the type A.110 but equipped with a stop plate was found inside the bucket (Fig. 2). The bucket, which served as a cinerary urn, was covered with a clay bowl. The presence of the bucket type Eggers 18 together with the brooch type A.110 proves the significant longevity of Roman imports in the area of Barbaricum. Grave 4 is unique among other discoveries (Fig. 6–9). It was an inhumation burial placed in a stone chamber. Grave deposits consisted of a bronze skillet type Eggers 131, a set of 24 glass counters (six of each colour: white, yellow, celadon and black-blue), a pair of bronze terminals of drinking horns type C.5, bronze belt buckle type D2, bronze strap-end, two bronze chair-shaped spurs type Jahn 35, two bronze brooches – a trumpet brooch of the variant Liana 1 and a brooch type A.110 – and three clay vessels, one of which is an imitation of a glass vessel. This grave should be considered as a princely burial of the type Lubieszewo, although due to the presence of the fibula type A.110 it should be dated to the stage B2a of the Roman Period. Currently, it is one of the youngest graves of the type Lubieszewo, and also the only burial of this kind located east of the Vistula. As a result of the excavations carried out in the 1970s, only a small part of the site was explored. It is currently impossible to determine the size of the cemetery or establish its chronology. Due to the importance of the site and severe modern damage it suffered, the work at the site has been resumed in 2018
ISSN:0043-5082